Nicholas Loyd, Ph.D
Nicholas (Nic) Loyd is a clinical assistant professor for the Industrial and Systems Engineering and Engineering Management department at UAH, with the primary responsibility of leading the Engineering Management graduate program. His primary research interests are The Toyota (and Lean) Production System, strategic management and culture change, supply chain management, and emerging technologies in advanced manufacturing.
He also serves as the Director of the Center for Management and Economic Research at The University of Alabama in Huntsville and the Huntsville center director for the Alabama Technology Network (ATN); ATN is the state’s branch of NIST’s Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP). Nic has also served as a field engineer for ATN for over 20 years implementing Lean production, leadership development, and strategic transformation. His work has spanned a variety of industries including automotive, aerospace, medical, steel fabrication and distribution, education, and government. Nic was also part of pioneering the development of Lean services for seaport operations. He still enjoys projects on a part-time basis.
Dr. Nicholas Loyd’s Curriculum Vitae
- Ph.D., Industrial Engineering, The University of Alabama in Huntsville, 2017
- M.S., Engineering Management, The University of Alabama in Huntsville, 2006
- B.S., Industrial and Systems Engineering, The University of Alabama in Huntsville, 2000
- Lean Trainer and Practitioner – by Toyota Production System Supplier Support Center, NIST MEP, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, and MIT Lean Advancement Initiative
- Internet of Things: Business Implications – by MIT Sloan Executive Education
- Lean Enterprise Value Supply Chain facilitator – MIT Lean Advancement Initiative
- ix Sigma Black Belt
- Innovation Engineering blackbelt
- Toyota Kata coach
- Lean Healthcare instructor – MIT Lean Advancement Initiative
- Practical Energy Practitioner
- ISE 324 – Work Design
- EM 660 – Engineering Management Theory
- EM 661 – Strategic Engineering Management
- EM 760 – Engineering Management Structures and Systems
- American Society of Engineering Management
- Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers
- Alabama Automotive Manufacturing Association
- N. Loyd, G. Harris, S. Gholston, D. Berkowitz, 2019. “Development of Lean Assessment Tool and Measuring the Effect of Culture from Employee Perception,” Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management.
- N. Loyd. 2018. “Content Validation of an Assessment Tool to Measure Lean Deployment Based on the Toyota Production System and Toyota Way,” International Journal of Lean Enterprise Research.
- N. Loyd, 2016. “Empirical Study of Toyota Motor Corporation Relative to the Good to Great Framework,”refereed article published in the Journal of Management Research, Vol. 8 No. 3.
- N. Loyd and S. Gholston, 2016. “Implementation of a Plan-Do-Check-Act Pedagogy in Industrial Engineering Education,” refereed article published in the Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 32 No. 3(A). pp 1260-1267.
- N. Loyd, L. Jennings, J. Siniard, A. Holden, G. Rittenhouse, and M. Spayd, 2009. “The Application of Lean Enterprise to Improve Seaport Operations,” refereed article published in the Transportation Research Record, No. 2100, p 29-37.